rss search

Composition in Two Genres (Listicle)

line

Seven Effective Ways to Support Learning Disabled Children at Home

by Chantysha Clifton

Before you begin reading, please understand I am not a scientist nor doctor, but a parent. A parent raising a learning-disabled child willing to share knowledge with those similar to me. It can be difficult for us parents to know how to support our learning-disabled children and if our support is actually making a difference. This leads us to go overboard with trying different methods that may not work for every child. Which is why I gathered seven effective forms of support for learning disabled children that would provide long term stability.

1. Kids Have Their Own Personal Style

Learning disabled children may not learn like every other child and may have a specific way that is best for them to learn. As a parent, it is important to figure out if your child is either a visual, auditory or physical learner. Understanding how your child learns help with their academics but also gives some insight on what type of careers would be more of a strong suit for them.

2. Umm…Mom I Lost My Gloves Again

I can’t tell you how many items my child has lost in the house and at school, as well as difficulty following directions. Visual aids, list and labels can help with organizations, while instead of giving more complex directions make it much simpler. So, no more lost items or waiting ten minutes for your child to bring you your charger after giving clear instructions of its location.

3. Hey, Want to Tell Me About Your Day?

As a parent raising a learning-disabled child, it is a great struggle having a conversation with him, especially when I want to correct my child constantly. Parents tend to correct or rush the conversation, not realizing we’re contributing to the lack of communication and social interaction. When your child talks to you about anything, whether it’s about school, a video game or a dream, be patient. Listen without correcting them and let them go off on whatever it is they are talking about. This will give the child the confidence they will need with speaking not only with you but with others in society.

4. Wook Mommy, It’s a Fly on the TB! Say What???

When speaking to children we forget about how difficult language truly is and that words tend to be more abstract. How a person feels and the words to describe them is a difficult concept for learning disabled children to understand. As a parent you should initiate conversations where you tell your how a situation made you feel, work with them reading faces, gestures and movements, which gives them an understanding of what feelings are. This allows your child to get used to words and their meaning and knowing when to use it, which will contribute to the child social skills.

5. Homework Time! Where is the Wine???

If your child is attending school, then you can agree that homework is one of the most stressful parts when raising a child with a learning disability. There are good days and bad days when it comes to homework and the bad days you may need a small glass of wine. Children with learning disabilities tend to procrastinate and need parents by their side when completing homework. Having a homework routine where you gather everything needed to complete their homework can make it less difficult to do. Guide your child when they ask questions and give them praise for accomplishing it. Read to them each night as well since most learning-disabled kids struggle with reading, which makes doing homework difficult. Continue this routine and before you know it, you’ll be cooking dinner while your child is doing homework on their own.

6. Don’t Worry Honey You’re Doing Great!

Not every parent has the luxury or putting their child in a school that caters to their disability and surround them with students similar to them. Children with learning disabilities become aware of how different they are from interactions in school and from social interactions outside of school, which can negatively impact their self-esteem. By including them in activities you can get a sense of their strength and weaknesses and use their strengths to help with the weaknesses. Give your child specific praises when accomplishing activities including visual progress of their accomplishments. Show your children other people that struggled as well and have succeeded in life, these stories will give them confidence to overcome any obstacle thrown their way.

7. Take a Break from Adulting

How can parents support their children if they are there physically or mentally? I find myself constantly burning out because I don’t give myself personal time. It may feel difficult to do when raising a learning-disabled child, but not being in a healthy space could not only effect you but the child as well. Take some time out by asking for support from family or friends or take at least 15 minutes while your child is sleeping to meditate or just relax. Don’t even say you don’t have time because the time you spend on social media is the time you can unwind and manage your stress.